Transforming the way the world sees and serves our unhoused neig
Chief Development Officer (CDO)
LavaMaeX is changing the way the world sees and serves its unhoused neighbors. Founded in 2014 as Lava Mae, we began by converting public transportation buses into showers and toilets on wheels to address the lack of access to hygiene faced by San Francisco’s unhoused. After surpassing our 2020 goal to serve 30,000 unhoused Californians — 16 months ahead of schedule — on January 1, 2020, we relaunched as a nonprofit accelerator to build a worldwide network of providers who take critical services to the street, where the unhoused need them most.
Chief Development Officer Overview:
LavaMaeX is seeking a seasoned relationship builder who can leverage our track record of innovation and success to help steward our growth as we pivot from a model focused on direct service to one rooted in network capacity building. LavaMaeX‘s CDO will lead our fundraising strategy and execution of all revenue generating efforts to ensure we meet our annual goals for individual, foundation, and corporate giving.
Ultimately, to amplify our impact on a global scale and enable more communities to launch LavaMaeX-designed programs, we seek to develop and deploy a strategy that lessens our dependence on philanthropy. In short, to achieve this, our Chief Development Officer will understand that this position sits at the intersection of revenue/fund development, marketing, and programming.
The ideal LavaMaeX candidate applies left and right brain thinking to overcome challenges and capitalize on opportunity. She/he is a big picture thinker who skillfully deploys storytelling and data to galvanize people to our vision and attract donors and other support. Facing outward, the CDO will partner with our CEO and Board of Directors to cultivate and manage donors (individual, foundation, and corporate), and help steward our brand. She/he will explore opportunities to plan and execute events, including virtual events to establish awareness and build on the organization’s well known and beloved brand. This individual will foster an environment of collaboration and respect while also ensuring a can-do, scrappy mindset that drives goals to success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Minimum five years’ experience building and leveraging relationships founded on trust and integrity that facilitate giving opportunities or sales.
- Considerable expertise creating, leading, and aligning a development/revenue generation strategy with finance/budget, organizational development, and strategy, etc.
- History of stewarding existing donors (customers) to extract and deliver greater value.
- Superior ability to design and implement fund development strategies to drive revenue.
- Collaborate with MarCom Manager to design, deploy and measure annual giving campaign.
- Activate the broader LMX team: staff, board, volunteers and interns to help meet fundraising goals.
- Work with Founder on an ongoing basis to exchange ideas, collect feedback, request introductions, and glean org/donor history.
- Leverage creativity and innovation—with an eye to strategic alignment—to explore self-generating revenue opportunities for LMX via product sales, consulting, naming rights etc.
- Maintain awareness of the funding landscape: challenges and opportunities and develop strategies to successfully address them.
- Demonstrate a deep commitment to collaboration and co-creation; will work closely with CEO and team to define strategic plan, budget, explore new initiatives etc., ensuring alignment with LMX mission.
- Work with the board and CEO to drive/steward the vision/mission of the organization and leverage strategic opportunities to share stories and data to elevate LMX’s visibility and reinforce brand.
- Work closely with CEO and MarCom Manager to establish key messaging/storytelling strategy for donor/supporter communications across all platforms.
- Embody the organizations’ culture based on the core values established to ensure individuals thrive professionally and that Radical Hospitality flourishes internally and externally.
- Communicate and present critical strategic matters at Board and Committee meetings.
- Assess opportunities across markets for the potential to create long-term value and determine the paths available for pursuit.
- People, Project and Program Management Skills
- Exemplary people management skills, strategic leadership abilities, and the ability to link the development of people with achievement of organizational outcomes.
- Ability to take direction, co-create, or work independently as the situation requires.
- Experience organizing, managing, and evaluating events, campaigns, or other productions.
- Work to quickly become an SME on all things LMX.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master or Bachelor’s degree, equivalent combined education/experience.
- Minimum ten years relevant experience; for-profit and nonprofit experience preferred.
- Leadership of a dynamic, fast-growing organization is a must.
- Experience partnering/collaborating with both corporate and non-profit organizations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Growth rather than scarcity mindset required.
- Unquestionable integrity, moral character; is trustworthy and authentic.
- Deep commitment to LavaMaeX mission and vision. Our goal is to create a global network of communities launching and sustaining LavaMaeˣ-designed programs that serve 100,000 people moving through homelessness by 2024.